Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Adults have made it back to the water!

The weather yesterday wasn't very nice so we moved the Adults first day on the water to today. It was a bit windy and cold but we had 7 troopers make it today get out on the water. 2 were 'newbies' that have been training with us indoors on the ergs but this was their very first day in a boat and they did a great job.

Unfortunately neither of our coaching launches would start so they didn't get any coaching. Ken had untied from the dock before he realized the motor wouldn't start so he spent the morning doing his own rowing. I was in the coxswain seat without a coxbox (voice amplifier) so a) they could barely hear me, and b) I couldn't see what they were doing. But nevertheless, we made a series of loops (around Ken) and were rowing by all 7 pretty quickly!

John Bullard, in 6 seat, loved when I called for port pressure "It's music to my ears!!" he said. He's a big guy and loves to pull hard so I'm excited for the men's 8+ we can put together this season. David Filipek and Larry Shwartz were our newbies and they've been pulling some great numbers on the erg. Once they get the feel for the boat, they'll be some powerhouse guys. Put them together with some of our other guys, and man this is going to be a fun season!! I'm still hoping that a few guys I haven't seen register yet will come out.

As usual, we had Anne Eisenmenger in the stroke seat followed with Margaret Ishihara in 7. They were a great stern pair with wonderful control, even if it was to the frustration of the guys behind them that just wanted to go fast. :) We had Laurie Bullard making a return and holding down the 2 seat, with Nancy Durfee owning the bow seat. They were great in the strong wind and when I needed to turn the boat, they were spot on.

It was a chilly but fun morning and I'm hoping they've all thawed out by now. See the next batch of adult rowers tonight at 5:30!

No comments:

Post a Comment