Thursday, September 1, 2011

Well, Irene has passed

I have to say, we were very lucky here at NBCR. We were able to borrow a truck and a trailer from CRI to load up all of our boats. Tons of club members came down to help load and they brought friends, relatives, etc. and the task went really quickly. The HDC helped us out again and let us store the trailer at State Pier and not even have to unload it. It worked out perfectly!

Then Irene came through and the docks, wakeless launch, and all trees, etc. at Popes Island were in tact. The only damage I really saw was that one of the Popes Island signs came down but our 'boathouse', the docks, the marina all looked in great condition. The office had power when I got back here and Irene left very little mark on us. One of our adult rowers, David Filipek, was gracious yet again and let me borrow his brand new truck to pull the trailer back to Popes Island to unload. I almost didn't give it back! We unloaded over the course of 2 evenings and got everything down. I gotta say, our members (and many of the youth dads) are strong!! Randy at the HDC even mowed the grass inside the fence for us!

So we're back up and running and while we were very lucky and made it through Irene unscathed, many others did not. It's been hard to remember how many people have gone days without power when I have it at work, at home, and the weather has been great. But I'm sure there are plenty of people that have spent the last few days removing fallen trees and branches, and buying all the candles and flashlights they can find. I hope all of you in that position are back to normal as soon as possible!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment