Friday, May 20, 2011

Great News!!

So not only is Walter Chang great for giving us money to purchase a used four, but he's flexible as well. He gave me a range in which I could spend and he's willing to either purchase a 4+ for us, or give me a certain amount to spend on more than one 4+. Well, I'm a sneaky little devil at times and so I've been doing some research.

Our rowers are awesome and I wanted to find a boat that is worthy of them - not just something that will do. We're nearing our first full year of existence and thus our rowers aren't going to all be novices anymore. I need to find a boat that can be a "racing" boat for them - the kids and adults alike.

Then comes the dilemma of having a really nice boat but having to use it for Learn-To-Row programming because we don't have enough to fill an 8+. Racing fours are often what's called "bowloaded" where the coxswain is lying down in the bow of the boat rather than sitting in the stern of the boat. This wouldn't be good for beginners and I would also worry about the boat getting banged up with 'newbies'.

SO - I found 2 fantastic racing boats for a good price but pretty much at the limit of my given budget. One boat is local but they won't budge on the price. The other is a year newer but down in DC. They, however, are flexible on the price. I also found an older boat that is similar to the yellow 4+ that was damaged in the wind storm. This boat is in Shrewsbury, MA and would be perfect for our Learn-To-Rows.

After some negotiating, Potomac Rowing Club in DC gave me 10% off the price of their boat, may give us 4 oars to go with it for free, AND will transport the boat to Philly at no charge! The boat in Shrewsbury will bring me just a hair over my budget but we're close enough that we're going to do it.

Yes, that's right folks - thanks to Walter Chang's donation, and the generosity of Ed Ryan in DC, and my wiley ways...WE'RE GOING TO BE GETTING TWO (new-to-us) BOATS!!!!

I feel so blessed and I'm so happy to be getting a boat that our rowers are going to love. They deserve it and I couldn't be happier!!

No comments:

Post a Comment