Friday, March 11, 2011

Buses

Buses and transportation in general seem to be a big hurdle for a lot of after school programs. We have kids that want to row but have trouble getting to the docks. Peter Durant's program Community Boating (sailing) doesn't have a city bus that goes near their docks. Bernadette Souza at the Boys & Girls Club also said that there aren't buses for some of the schools to get kids to them. I wonder if Dennison Memorial has the same issue down in the south end? The YMCA downtown is close to buses but what about the YWCA and all of the other programs that are running in New Bedford?

Well, today Bill Burns in the Mayor's Office is going to meet with me. Angela Johnston at the NB EDC set it up for me and hopefully Matthew Morrissey (the EDC Director) can join me. I'm hoping we can find some solutions for making it easier for kids to get to these programs and stay off the streets. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment